The Carnegie Mellon University School of Design invites doctoral students engaged in all types of research in Design and Design Studies to join us March 4–5, 2016 for a unique symposium to share in-progress work.
The CMU PhD Design cohort invites proposals from individuals or groups that are conducting doctoral research in all areas of design practice, history and theory. This fora has been organized for two purposes:
- to create connection within the small community of students doing advanced research in design and design-related disciplines, and
- to offer these students the opportunity to share their work with a wider group that shares a degree of common knowledge and approaches to research.
We welcome proposals in new areas of design-related insight such as criticism, pedagogy, transition design, encourage the submission of works-in-progress, and proposals for new areas of investigation that are heretofore unrealized.
So we can organize the event most effectively, and as an indicator of your commitment to participate, please submit your proposal no later than February 19, 2016 to the CMU Design PhD Symposium to steering committee members Michael Arnold Mages (email@example.com) and/or Cameron Tonkinwise (firstname.lastname@example.org) Proposals should be submitted as PDF.
Submit an abstract of your in-progress research project that is no longer than 500 words. Images, video or other media may be included and are exclusive of word count. All students currently engaged in design-related doctoral research in an accredited program will be accepted. Those wishing to attend but not present should rsvp to the organizers.
What your abstract should address
Include an outline of the main concepts you hope to address in your project, indicate what work has been completed, and what is yet to be completed.
The schedule is planned as follows:
Friday, March 4
- 9:30 am – 10am Welcome by CMU Design Faculty
- 10 am – 1 pm Progress presentations by CMU Design PhD Candidates
- 1 pm – 2 pm Lunch
- 2 pm – 5 pm Progress presentations by CMU Design PhD Candidates
- 7 pm – Reception
Saturday, March 5
- 10 am – 1 pm Presentations by visiting PhD Candidates
- 1 pm – 2 pm Lunch
- 2 pm – 5 pm Presentations by visiting PhD Candidates
- 5 pm – 6 pm Closing keynote